Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Few Thoughts on Psalm 23

Psalm 23 has been on my mind quite a bit in the last couple days and I wanted to share my thoughts. They are not just mine; I think we had a message about this a few months back and it is just returning strongly to me.

Most people think of Psalm 23 as the "yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death" funeral scripture. No I am not feeling morbid or all that depressed. Scared, absolutley! But that is for another post. In the great words of Scarlet O'Hara... "I'll think about that tomorrow."... Anyway, back to the Psalm.... I disagree about the funeral-only usage.

Here is the Psalm.... and my thoughts.

The Lord is my shepherd,
Shepherds take care of their flock. I have a powerful shepherd.
I shall not be in want.
My needs will be met....
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
Not just any pastures, but "green" pastures.
He leads me beside quiet waters,
Peace.
He restores my soul.
"Restores" me... when I've got nothing left.
He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake.
His paths... not mine. I don't get to choose the paths;
my job is to follow where he leads.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
Sometimes things suck.
I will fear no evil, for You are with me;
I don't need to be scared. I am never alone.
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
He will help me fight off the "wolves" of life... the enemies.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
A table for me... a feast even...
in front of my enemies... not with them...
Like God saying, "Ha!Ha!...This one's mine!"
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
I am so blessed.
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,
God loves me and He wants me to be happy.
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
What an awesome finish line.
My surgery is tomorrow and I am very aprehensive about that, but I do have a great sense of peace that God is really watching over me.
I am going to try to keep my blog updated throughout this process. It is as much for me to get all this stuff bouncing around my head... OUT... so I don't feel like I'm going nuts.
Please continue the prayers.

1 comment:

  1. Hope things went well with your surgery. Psalms 23 is such a powerful chapter. I enjoyed you thoughts.

    ReplyDelete