Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Innocence Lost

I am so sad, and so angry this morning. I am also exceptionally proud.

We found out this weekend a 13-year-old girl that I know is a victim of a statutory rape and sexual harrassment. Her step-bother inadvertantly discovered the harrassment, and then the rest came out.

I am so,so sad for her... because society told her that her worth was gauged by her ability to be "sexy" ... and she's just a little girl. She has been acting strangely since this happened, very emotional and snippy with people. Now we understand; she is so lost and confused and hurting... and so ashamed.

She. Didn't. Tell. Anyone.

I am angry with her mom, whose views are that of a catty 15-year-old cheerleader... that her daughter got what she wanted, she should just buck-up, get on some birth control, and move on. So what that kids now call her a slut and a whore. Deal with it. Oh, and what's wrong with her sister's boyfriend sneaking in and spending the night; she's 16, and they only got down to their underwear... no big deal.

I am so proud of her dad and her step-mom, who are dealing with this situation with love and compassion to their daughter, and yet still taking the legal steps to protect her. Prosecuting the boy, getting the girl and her sister out of a situation where their mother is not acting in her daughters' best interests. I am proud that they have used the struggles they have faced to do what is right for their daughter. They have a long road ahead of them, but I applaud them every step of the way.

And I pray for them. I pray especially for this girl. That she will realized that she is so loved, by her parents and by God.

No comments:

Post a Comment