Monday, October 19, 2009

Evolution of a Clown Cake

First, you need an idea.
I came up with this crude little sketch at work, about 4 am. This clown cake was to be chocoalte. I recommend Duncan Hines Chocolate Fudge. (If anyone has a nice dense chocolate cake recipe, I would love to have it! Until then, Duncan Hines has the best cake mixes on the market.)




Now it's time to select pans and bake. Since I make wedding cakes, I have "petal pans." I chose the 15" petal pan for the face...
a 1/2 sheet for the hat...
and a 6" petal for decoration on the hat. I had some left-over batter, so I made 2 - 6" squares.

This is kind of hard to see, but I traced the pans and made cutting templates. I trimmed the top of the large petal flat, so the hat would butt up against it. Then I scooped out two of the bottom scallops to make a chin. The 1/2 sheet was cut into a hobo-type hat. I actually made the hat taller and used the small squares for the bowtie. The small round cut-out was for the nose and the other for the center of the bowtie.
I cut everything out and froze the shapes overnight to make them easier to handle.
Then, made up a heap of icing and
TaDa!!!
I bought an icing tip and an 18" decorating bag before my last wedding cake and it is an awesome time-saving combination. Also, true RED (and black) icing takes an insane amount of gel food coloring.
I used a new icing recipe this time and I really like it. It is easy to make and use and it tastes better than most "white" icings. It makes up a bunch, but stores for 3 months in the refrigerator (or so the recipe says). It comes from The Taste of Home Baking Book.
Bakery Frosting
2 cups shortening
1/2 cup nondairy creamer (like powdered CoffeeMate)
1 tsp clear vanilla or almond extract
1 package (32 ounces) powdered sugar
1/2 to 3/4 c water
Beat shortening, creamer, and extract. Gradually beat in powdered sugar. Add enough water for desired consistency. (Less water for piping/decorating; more water to spread easily) Store in refrigerator for up to 3 months. Bring to room temp. before spreading.



No comments:

Post a Comment