Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Power of Yarn and Prayer

In January, I started to get the mid-winter blahs so I decided I needed a project. I work with elderly people, many of whom are in wheelchairs and many of whom are always chilly... so I thought I would find a shawl pattern and crochet some shawls for my old ladies, and maybe one for myself.
On a tip from my yarn-whore friend, I found this really pretty, FREE shawl pattern on Ravelry.com. It's called "The All-Shawl."
(I suggest this free site for anyone who likes to make stuff from yarn - lots of free patterns.)
This is mine. It was the 4th one I made, I think.
I loved the yarn and couldn't give it away.
I made it extra wide so I can really wrap up in it.
It is 75% acrylic and 25% wool; warm but washable.
Then I bought some yarn... ok lots of yarn. And then a pamphlet with a few other patterns, including the cute ruffley thing below. I'm a bit of a compulsive shopper. This lovely green one is for Lisa.



Soon after the pattern and yarn binge... before I even had a chance to start to crochet... I found my lump. And I began to crochet. And crochet. And crochet.
{My list is now on the sidebar... Holy Cow! 19 & counting...
Even I didn't realize I had made that many.}
Sometimes I had a person in mind when I started a shawl and sometimes I decide who it's for when it's finished, usually because of a moment of inspiration that points me to a specific person. I have really been blessed by this.
I have been aware from the beginning of this rollercoaster that I had the prayers of many blanketing me. But last week, I got tangible evidence of this. A few of my "sisters" showed up at my house one evening to deliver this...

It is literally my very own "Prayer Blanket." You see, my dear friends had been getting together since around Valentine's day, praying and knitting and crocheting for me. Each sister made a piece or two and then they put it together to make this lovely afghan. So now when I go to my chemo treatments or anytime, anywhere else I need a little extra warmth, I have the love and prayers of powerful, faith-filled women to wrap up in.
The day after I got this blanket was a hard day. I wrapped up in my prayer blanket and had a deep-sleep power-nap.
A little island of tranquility in an otherwise teary day, which is nothing short of a miracle.
Never underestimate the power of yarn and prayer.
God is good.
PS... I take requests. I just need a color choice and a place to send it.

1 comment:

  1. I love your prayer blanket! What an amazing (and special) gift!

    ReplyDelete