Monday, March 15, 2010

A Quick Update

I know that some of you are looking for an update on me and my surgery.
I wish I had something super-inspiring to share.... but I don't.
I am doing as well as can be expected, I think. The physical recouperation isn't as bad this time around as it was last time. I have a 15 inch incision from the back of my underarm area to just past the midpoint of my chest. It is stapled shut. I have a surgical drain through tomorrow. It sounds and looks way bad, but although I am exceptionally tired, I am not in a huge amount of pain.
I walked with my husband all the way to the corner and back yesterday; we live in the middle of the block. About 2 houses down, Tom asked if I wanted to stop and say "Hi" to the neighbors.... I couldn't. I just needed to go home. I was done.
I had a major emotional meltdown... well several of them actually.... Saturday. That was the day I could take my bandages off and take a shower. I thought I was prepared... but I looked in the mirror and just cried.
Then I cried my way through the shower.
Then I cried to my mom.
Then later... I cried to my husband, actually I finally cried myself to sleep with him rubbing my head.
I woke up to a better day.
So how am I doing? I don't really know how to answer that, except that I'm doing.

1 comment:

  1. And now I'm crying. I'm so sorry you have to endure this trial. I don't know how anyone can prepare for those types of changes. We will continue to pray for you at least to help you persevere through this time. And thank you for posting, it's nice to know how you are doing.

    ReplyDelete