Friday, May 28, 2010

"Mom, I Need You"

I have a dear friend H. She and I have been through thick and thin and then some over the last 10+ years together. We talk on the telephone quite regularly. Now, H has a little girl, Flower, who is about 3 1/2. Flower has always done things on her own timeframe and is not afraid of expressing her needs vocally.
As an infant.... well she was a little high-maintenance. She didn't walk until she was almost 2, although for no physical reason... I am convinced that she just didn't feel like it yet.
Now, she is very verbal. And she has no problem just walking up to her mom and saying,
"Mom, I need you."
Sometimes it's a snack or a nose-wipe or a movie or her little brother is being a pest...
sometimes it's just because...
Just because at that particular moment life seems to big for her to handle on her own and she just needs her mom....
Climb up on the lap. Get a hug. Suddenly everything is OK again. And life goes on.
This is my mom. Isn't she cute for an old chick?!

Now, I think I got a rather false sense of security when Chemo Round 2 wasn't too bad.
Round 3, however, knocked me down pretty good.
No puking involved, but a good deal of nausea and exhaustion beyond newborn-baby stage.
Treatment was on Monday. By Thursday, I was a mess. I had slept 12 hours, gotten up and taken a shower, and hit the wall. I didn't even get my older kids driven to school. I was standing in my bathroom, crying over my pathetic-ness, when I heard Flower's little voice in my head and just knew I needed my mom.
Suddenly I was 3 years old again, and I knew that if I could just have my mom, somehow I could get through the day and things would be ok again.

So I called my mom. She didn't have any plans that day.
She asked what was up... and I lost it... I just cried. I told her that nothing was up. I was just tired and I didn't feel good and I needed a mom.
She said, "I can do that. I'll be there shortly." No questions, just OK.
So she came up (she's about 45 minutes from me) and got my kids to school... 2 hours late, but oh well..... let me cry and then just spent the day being my mom. She did my dishes... we made some muffins... she mostly made them really... got some laundry folded... and she stayed til my hubby got home... cuz then he could take care of me.
You know....One of the hardest lessons for me to learn through all this has been that it's ok to not be ok. Most of the time I am pretty positive and upbeat.
But I need to give myself permission to occasionally be a mess...
even for no other reason than that I'm tired of being tired...
And it doesn't matter how old you are,
sometimes you just need your mom.
Thanks, Mom. You're Awesome!
I woke up to a much better day.

1 comment:

  1. Mom's are the best, especially when they are your own! I'm glad you were able to spend the day together, what a great support!

    ReplyDelete