Saturday, March 7, 2009

Taking Care of My Corner

I mentioned this movie in a previous post and that we didn't finish watching it at the 30-Hour Famine. The other day in my local "Big Box" store, it was on the $4 movie rack, so I bought it and watched it the next day. And. I. Cried. I had a shorter clip in here, but I like this one better.



Profanity effectively filtered, the movie points out so well how one person can make a difference.

A very wise friend of mine told me something a couple of years ago that has stuck with me. She was going through breast cancer at the time and I was helping her out a little at the family day care she runs. She was very appreciative of my time. It was really no big deal to me... just a couple hours here and there. We started talking about service. She said....

"If everyone just took care of their little corner of the world, pretty soon there wouldn't be any corners left out."

I've always kind of tried to do this, but I had never had it articulated so well before. God doesn't expect us to take care of the whole world by ourselves. He just expects us to do our part and take care of our corners. The people in your life.... family, friends, neighbors, acquaintances, people you pass on the street, hungry kids in other countries (World Vision put them in my corner).

My corner today includes doing my family's laundry, making them dinner, helping Mr.T. make an apple pie (he's been asking for one for weeks), and throwing together some cookies and rice krispie squares for some friends who are out running in the rain this afternoon training for a marathon (what a bunch of crazies). Hopefully in the midst of all that, I will get my homework done and get prepped for my exam on the respiratory system on Monday.

God honors your priorities... Love your neighbors as yourself. If my corner is taken care of, God helps me with all the school junk.

2 comments:

  1. Um, you rock.

    You're totally right.

    God says "Love your neighbor." If we'd all do that, it'd be OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, me again. My word verification was "reectrus".

    Like Astro from the Jetsons saying to the dad, "Grit rur root rout ruv ry reectrus!!"

    HAHA

    ReplyDelete